Saturday, July 9, 2011

Classic Filipino Leche Flan


Leche Flan is one of my favorite Filipino dessert and I have always wanted to learn how to make it. When we visited my sister in Boise, one of her Filipino friends gave her a recipe for a classic Leche Flan. Since I was helping my sister prepare the food for her daughter's graduation party, I decided to take advantage of this opportunity and make the flan myself. I couldn't believe how simple it was to make the flan and it turned out really good.




The recipe only has few ingredients and they were easy to remember. I decided to make the flan again for my daughter's graduation party. I made individual servings using ramekins and they came out beautiful and quite tasty!


Ingredients:


10 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk (12 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (14 oz)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tablespoon of lemon rinds
1/4 cup water


Ramekins (7 oz)
1 large baking pan


Prepare the caramel sauce:


Put the sugar, lemon rinds and water in a small saucepan and caramelize them then pour about 2 tablespoon in each ramekin then set aside.


Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Whisk the eggs, condensed milk and evaporated milk well until you no longer see solid egg yolks. Pour the mixture equally in each ramekin on top of the caramel sauce.


Cover each ramekin with foil and place in the large pan. Pour hot water in the large pan covering just almost half way up the ramekins. Place the pan in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool then refrigerate.


To serve:  Run a thin knife around the edges of the mold to loosen the Leche Flan. Place a flatter on top of the mold and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.

No comments: